Sonntag, 30. Januar 2011

Here you find the "Statement by the EU High Representative Catherine Ashton on Egypt" as a pdf-object




Here you find the "Statement by the EU High Representative Catherine Ashton on Egypt"

Catherine Ashton, the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and
Vice-President of the Commission, made today the following statement:

"I have followed very closely and with profound concern the reports of increased violence, clashes
and arrests during today’s demonstrations in Egypt.

The continued use of force against demonstrators by police and state security forces is deeply
troubling. In order to avoid further deterioration of the situation in Cairo and elsewhere in Egypt,
and to avoid more casualties, I reiterate my call on all parties to exercise restraint and calm and I
urge the authorities to immediately and unconditionally release all peaceful demonstrators from
detention.

I also reiterate my call upon the Egyptian authorities to urgently establish a constructive and
peaceful way to respond to the legitimate aspirations of Egyptian citizens for democratic and socioeconomic reforms.

I will discuss these developments with my colleagues in the Foreign Affairs Council meeting on
Monday in Brussels."


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen